Monday, March 19, 2007

A Baby Shower Gift

I'm working on this little banner for my friend Erin's baby shower. It's so much easier to make gifts for people who a.) know what they're having, or b.) know how they're decorating. In Erin's case, both are true. She's having a boy and decorating in a vintage toy style with red and cream as her main colors. So this should work (I hope so!). I simply love the idea of her decorating scheme, although I haven't seen it yet. I thought of decorating our nursery in red and white but didn't because it was so darn difficult to find anything in those colors for baby. That, of course, was just slightly before I realized that I can make the stuff myself.

My mother-in-law did make Emily's bedding, but it was not easy finding the right fabric, and I don't recall seeing anything red and white that I loved. We were limited to decorator fabric and a small budget too, which certainly made a difference in our options. All-in-all, the price came to just a little more than $100, and I do like the colors. I had difficulty matching sheets to the bumper pad and still feel that the color is off. But I have 3 (!) of these Amy Coe green sheets and feel that at this point I just have to get over my dreams of perfect color coordination. However, if I ever do buy new sheets for the crib, I might just find a pink that looks nice with the other colors. Why didn't I think of that sooner? I will tell you why: I thought that when Baby came home from hospital, Baby might just choose to throw up on the sheets every day, thus meaning that I needed several changes of sheets for Baby of unknown gender. That's right. I knew there was a reason for this.

Back to the baby shower stuff: I estimate that there are at least 5 baby showers in my near future. Most of the ladies I know are having boys, and I haven't figured out exactly what to make all these little guys. I saw a cuddle pirate on One Good Bumblebee, which inspires me. Evan suggested little cuddle ninjas in the same vein.

1 comment:

S said...

Hi there, you just added me as a contact over at Flickr and I thought I would come check out your blog. I love this banner! Great colors! Your baby is just squishable too! So cute! It seems like a second ago that my little Ruby was that little and now she's 2!